The Australian Pitch Conference was developed by the SA Writers Centre in collaboration with the New York Pitch Conference, and supported by Arts South Australia. Over the first two years, more than 70 South Australian writers had the opportunity to delve intensively into their manuscripts, and supported by industry facilitators, writers and mentors worked to develop professional pitch packages for their work. They then had the opportunity to pitch to senior commissioning editors of major publishing houses. Held over three packed days, the conference includes panel sessions, group work, individual support, a reading event and the pitching day.
The Pitch Conference aims to provide
- support to writers to identify the genre, market and unique selling points of their manuscripts
- an opportunity for writers to discuss their projects in a professional way
- expert advice on industry standards around pitching and submitting their work
- an opportunity for writers to learn about the publishing industry and current trends
- expert feedback to fine tune a confident, effective and professional book pitch
- writers with an exclusive opportunity to pitch a writing project to commissioning editors from a number of major Australian publishing houses
From 2016, the Pitch Conference has gone biennial. This will give local writers plenty of lead time to develop their manuscripts to the best they can possibly be, and to ensure the best possible outcomes.
The Pitch Conference will be on again in 2018, so get working on those manuscripts.
If you would like kept informed of Pitch Conference details, make sure you are signed up to our enews. We strongly encourage you to make the most of the professional learning opportunities available via our workshops and events to prepare for a successful Pitch Conference.
Registrations will open in early 2018.